Tuesday, June 4, 2013

Speed Play

Some of you will read a new word today. It is as much fun to do as it is to say! Track training has taught me a Swedish word "Fartlek" it means speed play. It is a training routine a runner can do to vary speed during the workout. It helps to increase your speed and lower your times in distances. Today was built around Fartlek.

Here's the build up: ballistic warmups, sprint warm up, 10 x 400 fartleks, 20 x stadium steps, 10 x sprint hills, core work (went hard core today!), and stretch. The most fun today was the speed play. Reminded me of being a kid playing a game in the school yard trying to chase someone down. It felt good to try to run really fast for short bursts.

But I must confess that right now I am tried. My muscles are aching a little, knees are speaking or cussing at me in Swedish, and I need to recover some strength. It will come. We push out there knowing that our strength will come.  Reminds me of all those times that I try to do things in my own power and lack the strength to finish. All along my Father has had all the strength I needed if I would only rest in him, wait in him, allow him to renew me.

But those who wait on the LORD Shall renew their strength; They shall mount up with wings like eagles, They shall run and not be weary, They shall walk and not faint. Isaiah 40: 31.  



You can't get much done in life if you only work on the days when you feel good. 
Jerry West
 

No comments:

Post a Comment